Friday, November 17, 2006

Umeå

Yesterday I woke up around 6.40 am and had a looong day even before 4.50 pm when I started to drive for more then 12 hours and arrived 5.20 am the morning after. Then I got about* 3 hours of sleep before I had to wake up. I hope I will get some sleep tonight. On sunday night I am going to drive back home so I don't want to be this tired then.

--------
* today I am trying to speak like Ninja and Special K so the abouts are more like a boat. Love that accent (or is it a dialect, i have no clue where you draw your lines).
--------

So, driving for 12 hours with a car I hadn't driven before and a quite large trailer is enough to complaint about but I will go on for a while longer: It was foggy and the first 200 miles it rained and then it started to snow and got really slushy.

Well, I like driving my car, I will get some sleep tonight and I am happy to be here.

Here in this case is Umeå, the city I will call home in january. I moved to Umeå when I turned 16 and lived here for a couple of years and it feels good to come back. It is much colder here and I am not that in to cold, winter and such but it has other advantages. I like how people are up here, it is very different from Linköping. It is just (?) 500 miles apart but culturally the differences are huge I think. It's on the same latitude as Fairbanks, Alaska but the climate is more mild because of the Gulf Stream. It is covered with white snow but right now it is actually raining which is rare, usually it is below the ice point from middle october and then its covered with snow to late april or may when everything explodes in greens and the summer is short but very beautiful.

The dark side with Umeå is the dark... The sun doesn't really like being here and it is just sunlight for a few hous. At 3 am it will be dark again and unfortunally my body is a bit more continetinal, because it thinks that it is time to sleep when dusk had done its thing. It is hard to stay awake. But in the summer we get al the lost hours and it is light 20 hrs/day

3 comments:

Peterson Toscano said...

Strange, I had posted a comment, but see it is GONE with the wind.

My question was, how did the kids do with this long ass drive? Did you have to drug them? Is that legal in Sweden (it is in the US. It is administered with a tranquilizer gun. Yeah, we use guns for most things. I think someone is going to start a restuarant where the waiter shoots the food directly into your mouth)

Umeå sounds like a place I want to visit!

Alex Resare said...

Tranqulizer gun? Yikes...

No, we are a bit more sofisticated over here. A DVD-player, a lot of sugar and driving at night does the trick. But they are very nice even at daytime.

Ninja said...

Hey Alex!
Welcome to the show. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the shows you listened to. I'm glad that we could keep you company! xo Ninja