Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Fear

I believe in good and evil but even more, I believe in love and fear. It is easier to understand good and evil from that point of view. Love, peace, trust and fearlessness is godly. Fear is evil if it gets you or the people around you to feel afraid, frightened or scared. Fear distracts, undermines and confuses. Love drives you to long for understanding, it builds up trust and gives patience to really listen.

But at the same time, a life with out fear and darkness, would it even be a life? Can a person grow up without facing darkness? Many big artists and especially comedians use fear and even hate to feed their creativity. Is that wrong? Would a world where everyone was driven all by love be heaven on earth? Maybe. But it sounds boring as hell. What would comedy be like if there was no fear? Doesn't most funny things include something that at least other fears? Can comedy exist without bordering on what society by fear has forbidden?

The most fearful thing of all I think is indifference and apathy. It is to easy to make everything someone else's responsibility. But it is hard to do something good when it is impossible to know what is good and what is bad.


I stand up and clear my throat
what to say
I do not know

everything I do know
is that something is out of order

I long for order
but have seen the seamy side of regulations

every agenda closes doors
but
no agenda at all means
never even open any door at all

I clear my throat once more

never mind
excuse me
I did not mean to bother you

2 comments:

Peterson Toscano said...

What a rich post! You give me many things to consider.

I too feel that love and fear are connected--"Perfect love casts out fear"--as the scripture goes. Living in a culture of fear we only look out for ourselves and our own families and can easily turn our backs on others.

I agree that fear is an essential part of life and yes of comedy. It creates the tensions we sometimes need to motivate us, but too much fear and the joke is no longer funny or worse we become paralyzed in life.

Here is the US we are trained to fear. The nightly TV news indroduces a daily dose of terrors in the water, on the streets, even in our homes. Fear is a powerful marketing tool and sometimes the best defense is to turn off the TV (or just toss it for good) and listen to other voices, ancient voices, emerging voices, literary voices, children's voices and yes even our own still small voice.

Thanks Alex for stimulating my thoughts again.

Alex Resare said...

I just wrote to you while you left a comment. Spooky :)

I know fear and needed no training to take that yoke on.

It is hard to turn off the media stream. I need noice to escape myself but the noice just makes my need of escape even bigger. Bad but quite ironic circle...