Thursday, November 09, 2006

the night of broken glass



Tonight 68 years ago almost every synagogues i Germany was set on fire, 30 000 jewish men was put into concentration camps and several jews was beaten to death. Tonight I think about Kristallnacht, the persecution of Jews and racism in general. I try to remember but I also tries to forget. I can't believe how little we have learned in the last century.

Today I met a arab friend of mine. We talked about how racism is getting a bigger problem. Since 9/11 he gets more segregational remarks then ever. When people harasses me for being trans or gay it hurts but still I can choose when to show that parts of me. When I go out at night I put my rainbow key ring far down my pocket and walk with a butch walk. When he goes out at night he takes a deep breath, thanks Allah for saving him so far and steps out. He doesn't stay at home because he think that the only god he can serve is Allah and if he surrender by fear he worships a false idol.

What is it he does out at night then? Well, he goes home to his grandmother and helps her to bed. He do her dishes and sets her coffee maker so she will wake up to fresh coffee every morning.

I will light a candle, think of Kristallnacht, my friend and many others. Then I am going to once again listen to beppespodcast podcast #60 where Peggy Senger Parson shares a very important and insightful message about fear and safety.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the link and for your endorsement of Peggy's message. Good post, too.

Alex Resare said...

Hi Joe, nice to see you here! I was happy to listen to a new podcast today, unfortunally it was to interesting so you made me miss my bus home.

Anonymous said...

Sorry the podcast did that for you. OOPS! :)