Friday, November 24, 2006

Male mumble

Today I got locked in by my inflexible personality and bad habit of questioning what should be unquestioned.

I referred to someone as "biomale". Then I got confused. Does a permanently attached dick right from birth or i a Y in your chromosomes define your biology for the rest of your life? What makes me less bio then others? Last week when I went into the men's locker room to change clothes and a whole lot of naked men walked around and was comfortable with me being there. Quite a few of them actually knowing I am trans. If I had only opened the door to the woman there would have been quite a few screams. My biological appearance as they saw it was all male. Or at least man enough. I am not only a man, I am a bio man. All male, even if my dicks didn't came at birth.

So what to call them? The male ones that never did any changing? Birth-males? But I have known forever that I wanted to be a boy and research tells us the transconfusion probably comes long before we are born. So transdudes are birth-males as well.

XY-men? Well, there are quite a few men that have Klinefelter with XXY or other variants. But just to call them Y-men, nahh, thats just not right ether.

Dickdudes? Well, most transmen has dicks of some sort. PenisRightFromtheStartMale? Doesn't really goes well with ether speaking or writing. And I'm tired with all the genitalia focus. Besides, having a penis doesn't make you male, I know lots of woman that had or have a penis.

I think I have painted my self into a corner. Non-transman-male? NtM...

Hate labels. Obviously I can't live with them and I can't really see a reality without them.



My spell check didn't know all words in this post. Never could have guessed...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you just have to call them "simple men" since you are a special man.
;)
/ÜPhG

Alex Resare said...

ÜPhG: Thats a good idea, I will call them SM:s and me and my kind for SM:s. Nice to have you here. I just reread the english Umeå wikipedia page. Do people actually say Umeå like wikipedia does? Wierd melody or pitch.

Anonymous said...

Uhmm.. well, some do.
I don't, but you already know that.
They should say Uume, or just Uum.
What should I do? Go around and shut their mouths just as they try to put in that completely unnecessary -å?
/ÜPhG

Elliot Coale said...

I like the way you think, Alex. And I agree with the "simple men"/special man thing. You're definitely a very special man, Alex. Much love to you. :D

--Elliot

Alex Resare said...

Üphg: I can get the å, I have it myself. Maybe I have that because Malå becomes very wierd without it, but I say Ume, Pite and Lule so Umeå is the exeption. But it's the way he says it that sounds wierd but then I realized that I know very few that are born and raised there, I mostly now people like me that moved there.

elliot: I take that love and absorb it. Have a bad week and need it badly.

Peterson Toscano said...

alex, you are indeed a special man. I look forward to the day when we can just go by our names and that will be enough.

Sometimes It's like we are a bunch of dogs sniffing around between each others' legs trying to figure everyting out. I think there are better place we can explore to really get to know each other.

Anonymous said...

The GLBT social work caucus at my university just had two trans folks at a talk/discussion two weeks ago. We got some great handouts about terminology and how fluid it is (the terms along with gender and sexuality). I found it very interesting.

I wonder if what you describe, at least in small part, is what all of us go through: who am I and how do I label myself (despite how others might do so). The specifics around these questions can be unique across individuals, but the experience is pretty universal.

Or am I minimizing your specific experience in some way because I'm one of those simple men (although I like "Y-guy" :-))?

Anonymous said...

(nod) there's a lot of weird in the use of terms like "genetic" and "bio" in the trans "community" ... it smacks of "real." of course, i feel the same way about ideas of "passing," too.

at any rate, i was going to bring up the word "cisgendered," which has the same implications but less of the... something.

there's always the "non-trans" option. :D