Sunday, November 12, 2006

In the middle of the town square there suddenly was a pillar with three buttons on it.

No sign, no hint of why it is there and what it is there for. Just a metal pillar with three buttons.

People noticed that it was there but nobody wanted to be different so everybody just tried to mind their own business, try to look on top of things but at the same time as discreetly as possible trying to glance around to try to get what it was.

I looked around to make sure nobody I knew was around. Like everybody else around I am afraid that I will look stupid. I walked up to the buttons and I pressed one of them. Suddenly a five story building changes colors from yellow to red. There was a impressed murmur from my audience. I pressed another button and the building turned blue.

I took a few steps aside to take some pictures and immediately a few other steped up, first some teenaged boys and then people of all kind came up and wanted to try.

I love the idea of changing something big with the push of a button. The most interesting I think is how people are curios but how every single one wants to fit in. Great art!

I have searched lokal newspapers and Linköpings home page but I haven't found any info about the installation.

6 comments:

Calia77 said...

Cool and beautiful.

Elliot Coale said...

Huzzah to you for being Leader of the Pack. It's nice to be a good example and be the first to open up people's minds to something they might not have been brave enough to try on their own, huh?

Anonymous said...

Good thing you tried one of the buttons!

I know that it is a part of "Novemberljus" (lights of November) and there is some info in swedish at http://www.linkoping.se/informationtill/turist/_news/novemberljus_2006.htm

The .pdf booklet says the yellow is for curiosity (got youre attention!) the red for passion and blue/green for longing.

Alex Resare said...

Thank you Maria! Nice to get some info. Want to go down town some dark night and look at all the lights with me?

Peterson Toscano said...

Now I have heard about people entering a building and lighting up a room with their smile, but to light up a whole building...that takes power.

Very cool art. Thanks for sharing. Love the photos. Love you more.

Anonymous said...

Alex: I'd love to!