Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tinky Winky in trubble again

Polands official spokesperson for children's rights, Ewa Sowinska wants psychologists to examine if Tinky Winky, the purple Teletubbie is gay and should be banned from public television in Poland. Ewa Sowinska had watched Teletubbies and didn't realise he was a boy at first and was very concerned when she understood that it was a boy that carried a handbag. You probably remember the same argumentation from Jerry Falwell many years ago.

From a BBC article:

Ms Sowinska wants the psychologists to make a recommendation about whether the children's show should be broadcast on public television.

Poland's authorities have recently initiated a series of moves to outlaw the promotion of homosexuality among the nation's children.


It is strange that a country can spend so much energy on the wrong things but I think it is even more strange that so many thinks that a handbag makes someone gay. I know a lot of gay men and only one of them have I ever seen carrying a handbag. Men carrying handbags are often transvestites and they are most often heterosexual. As so often the conservatives are not mainly afraid of homosexuality but of non-heteronormality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alex...

I love the word non-heteronormality... first time I'd come across it, but it works for me.

When I was a teenager in the 70s, living in small rural towns, it amazed me that that some high school guys were doing things as nontraditionally male as having fluffy, blown-dried hair styles (the male versions of Farrah Fawcett's hair) or having one ear pierced. Obviously, much has changed since then: People have broad options for expressing themselves through grooming, wardrobe, and the like while still being considered mainstream. There's so much more crossover between styles for men and women. As a small example, I love it that I see women wearing their hair very short, and men with amazing braids, and neither is considered unusual.

So, it seems bizarre to me, too, that anyone thinks there are fixed, enforceable boundaries on what is masculine or feminine, gay or straight. They're not paying attention!

Take care...

Anonymous said...

I wrote a post on that too... Yes, it's so very strange that people won't emphasize on good things, but fixate on everything "evil".