Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Happy New Year

Today 109 years ago Federico García Lorca was born in Granada. I couple of days I didn't know about him at all and when I read about him I learned that we share the same birthday so I had to read a bit about him. He was a multi talented Spanish poet and dramatist. At the age of 38 he was killed by the nationalists. In the Wikipedia article about him it says:

He was executed, shot by Falange militia on August 19, 1936. The executioner is reputed to have said "I fired two bullets into his arse for being a queer."

I wish I could say that much has happened since then...

But today all is good up here. I have had a wonderful day today. Perfect weather, nice company, really good vegan food, thoughtful gifts and I feel so glad that I am who I am where I am today.

As I always do on birthdays I evaluate the last year and make dreams for the next year. It is interesting to see how much my dreams can change from year to year and how I seem to learn at least a bit every now and then. After I have posted this I shall relax and listen to some new music and read some more poems until the sun rises again. Not very smart but after a day with tired kids and many impressions it is nice to be awake all alone.

If there is more out there that didn't know Lorca before here is one of his poems for you:

Sonnet of the Sweet Complaint

Never let me lose the marvel
of your statue-like eyes, or the accent
the solitary rose of your breath
places on my cheek at night.

I am afraid of being, on this shore,
a branchless trunk, and what I most regret
is having no flower, pulp, or clay
for the worm of my despair.

If you are my hidden treasure,
if you are my cross, my dampened pain,
if I am a dog, and you alone my master,

never let me lose what I have gained,
and adorn the branches of your river
with leaves of my estranged Autumn.

--Federico García Lorca



I hope you all have a good day. Tomorrow is our national holiday. It is not celebrated much at all, at least not by the people I know. Only way it effects me is that I always can sleep in the day after my birthday. On TV they will probably sing our national anthem and humble as I am I always get the same thought when I hear that tune -- I may not know much but I am not as stupid as that song. This is how it goes:


You ancient, you free, you mountainous North
You quiet, you joyful beauty
I greet You, most beautiful land upon earth
Your sun, Your sky, Your meadows green


You throne upon memories of great olden days
When honoured Your name flew over the world
I know that You are and will be as you were
Yes, I want to live I want to die in the North



First of all. The most beautiful land? The idea of beauty as something objective where one thing can be the most beautiful as that doesn't match my way of understanding. Second of all I don't like the idea of throning on old great wars. I can't be less proud of wars. But it is the penultimate line that makes me sigh and wonder what they where thinking. I know that You are and will be as you were. I may not know who I am but at least I know that nothing will ever be as it always where. And that is good, change is good.

4 comments:

TjAnders said...

Ett år äldre och ett år klokare ser jag! Hoppas du hade en riktigt trevlig afton och fick göra det du ville.
Många kramar från syster i Hysingsvik!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, Alex, and many happy returns of the day :)

Re: our national anthem, it's not that bad as anthems go. The point of an anthem is to brag yer butt off and make other nations envious, I guess. The weirdest thing about Du Gamla Du Fria is that Sverige/Sweden's not mentioned even once. Bet we swiped the text from somewhere, like we did with a lot of other "national treasures". Well, whatever LOL My eyes will still go moist when I hear it after we've won the FIFA European Championship next year :D

Hugs from Paul

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, a little too late!

I share your wiev on the national anthem... Oh, it gives me the creeps. The things that have been great about Sweden have NEVER been wars.

Lorca is nice, although I got a bad start with him, in my spanish class in 6th grade, where I had Hitler as a teacher, and god, did she love Lorca... A friend of mine made several parody poems, under the pseudonym Marcía Porca. Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Grattis i efterskott!